There is a vulnerability in the VOLD daemon in Android 2.2 and Android 2.3 (To know more about the vulnerability read this.). This vulnerability can be exploited to gain root on the Android 2.3 phones or tablets.
The root apk for Gingerbread is called Gingerbreak. You can download link for the apk is at the end of this post.
Follow these steps to root your Android 2.3 tablet , MID or mobile.
1. Download the Gingerbreak APK .
2. Transfer both the apk’s to a SD Card or connect your phone or tablet to your computer, mount the SD Card and copy the apk on to it.
3. The Gingerbreak apk must be in the main SD card directory, not in any sub folders.
4. Disconnect the Android 2.3 device from your computer
5. Open the file manager and go to the SD card main directory.
6. Click on the apk and install it.
7. After installation is complete, run the Gingerbreak app. Once it open, click on “Root”
8. It will take about 10 minutes or so and your phone should reboot. If your phone or tablet hangs for more than 15 minutes, reboot it and try again.
9. After reboot, go to the Android Market, download “superuser” and install it. Now you have full root access on your device.
Now dance and scream like a maniac, repeating the phrase “I GOT ROOT”
If you face any problem, leave a comment and I will try to help.